Get your free preview copy
How to Really Buy a Property
≡ Menu
≡ Menu

What does 'Subsidence' mean?


There are two main types of subsidence - 'up and down' or 'heave and subsidence', the property moves up and down on a regular basis and there is no cause for concern - 'down' or 'subsidence', the property or part of the property is moving down continuously and needs to be underpinned. See What a Property Survey Really Means for more information on subsidence.

Search Results for '' in
How to Really Buy a Property

"... surveyors should never estimate the cost of works; When rising damp, penetrating damp, subsidence, cracking, sagging roofs, bulging walls and all the other frightening things in a surveyor's report might be serious, and when they are not; Why asking the vendor to carry out work is not..."

"... solicitor is likely to be against such an idea. To start with it may seem like a great way to send positive messages to the vendor but any such agreement is likely to be complicated. If in the process of buying it is discovered that, for example, the property has subsidence or the house next door has got planning permission to double in size and block out all the sunlight to your garden, it would be fair for you to pull out of the..."

"... damp; How to check more than a structural survey covers and pay less; Why a sagging roof may not be a real issue; How to handle subsidence, movement and bulging walls; When to use a survey to renegotiate and when to keep quiet; How to choose a good surveyor, and make sure the lender does..."
"... retention can be a small amount or the total price agreed (usually in the case of suspected subsidence or other major structural issues). The best way to deal with them is as described in the remainder of this chapter. Take them in your stride, in most cases the issue is much smaller than the surveyor believes and retentions are removed after investigation of the..."
"... in one direction. If it is subsiding it will need to be underpinned. Its messy but not expensive as long as the property is covered by insurance and in almost all cases houses are because subsidence is a common phenomena and therefore mortgage lenders insist on it. If you really like a..."
"... and therefore mortgage lenders insist on it. If you really like a property and it is subsiding, buy it! The subsidence will be rectified under insurance and you will have an underpinned property which adds value when selling on. You should also remember that just because the..."
"... on. You should also remember that just because the property is not subsiding this year, it may do so at any time in the future. Ironically many buyers shy away from properties that have been underpinned because they are worried about subsidence! Instead they should see it as an asset. ..."

Search Results for '' in
Property Terminology

Author of How to Really Buy a Property

I'm Tim Hill, Author of How to Really Buy a Property. I'm a property buyer, seller, landlord, tenant and I've been an agent in hundreds of transactions. I own a property portfolio across Europe but that doesn't mean I think you should to!

This book is my collective knowledge and experience that I have gained working within the property market of England and Wales for over a decade. I've written it so that you can benefit from what I have learnt whether you are a first time buyer or a budding buy-to-let investor.

There are no gimmicks here and no get rich quick schemes - just practical no nonsense advice so you can buy the property you want at the best price with the least stress.

Download the Free Preview copy right now. I won't be asking for your email so I can bombard your inbox with 'special offers' and 'discounts' because I know most people who read the Free Preview buy the full copy. See for yourself!