Get your free preview copy
How to Really Buy a Property
≡ Menu
≡ Menu

What does 'Heave' mean?


Heave is when a property starts to rise and is commonly found in areas where the soil is predominantly clay which absorbs water and expands, forcing the property upwards.

It can happen because of heavy rain or where a tree or trees that were draining the soil via their roots are cut down.

Note some properties have an annual cycle of heave and subsidence which does not affect them structurally in any way. For more details of this see the chapterWhat a Property Survey Really Means

Search Results for '' in
How to Really Buy a Property

"... they are right about price movements then by renting they have lost £24,000 (£36,000 - £12,000) and saved £25,000 by not buying. Overall they are better off by only £1,000 and all this time they have not been in their own home. If they are wrong and prices move up their loss is substantially..."

"... Q3 2011 At an even more local level the media also loves to talk about "hot spots" on a month by month basis as if this were some reliable guide as to the best areas in which to invest. Price movements at this level are however, even more erratic as the following example shows. At a local..."

"... on the future but they continue to do so. In summary Capital Economics have been one of the worst predictors of house price movement in the past so be extremely skeptical of any article based on their predictions for the future. - Deloitte - Deloitte is also advised by the same..."

"...It is extremely important to know that the surveyor is qualified to spot tell-tale signs but cannot actually or absolutely state that something is wrong. He may say, for example, that "the windows are in need of refurbishment and that a qualified contractor should assess the cost" or "there appear to be signs that the property is subsiding to the rear and a qualified structural engineer should survey the property to assess the extent of any movement". ..."
"... the tiling, flashings, parapets, rafters and chimney stacks. Structure - a structural engineer to make sure that there is no movement in the building beyond the normal amount expected and that none of the walls are bulging. Drainage - a specialist company that can place CCTV probes in the..."

"... damp; How to check more than a structural survey covers and pay less; Why a sagging roof may not be a real issue; How to handle subsidence, movement and bulging walls; When to use a survey to renegotiate and when to keep quiet; How to choose a good surveyor, and make sure the lender does..."
"... of damp: Rising Damp - damp coming up from the ground Penetrating Damp - damp coming through the wall movement to expect in all older properties which have not been underpinned The clay beneath the property contracts during a dry summer causing the property..."
"... fine! Not sure and needs to be monitored Monitoring needs to happen over several months because movement can be slow and the monitoring needs to assess if the property is moving up and down or is continuing to move in one direction. If it is subsiding it will need to be underpinned...."
"... for no good reason, however, is not advisable. If a property has a natural up-down movement that has not affected it over the last few decades caution should be drawn to messing with it. Although it may stabilise your property, if you are in a terrace it will then be out of synch with its neighbours who are still moving. This can cause wall cracking and roof..."
"... and roof damage. Bulging in the walls and one solution One of the walls has started to move out in one particular point even though there is no unusual movement below the property The unstable wall is tied with a steel rod to a more stable wall in order to stop..."
"... market was moving up. The vendor eventually became frustrated and withdrew the contract from Diane's solicitor. Five weeks later he sold the property at the asking price and the survey from the new buyer made no mention of the tree or any movement in the property. Diane ended up buying a..."

Search Results for '' in
Property FAQ

There were no results for 'movement' in Propery FAQ

Search Results for '' in
Property Terminology

Author of How to Really Buy a Property

I'm Tim Hill, Author of How to Really Buy a Property. I'm a property buyer, seller, landlord, tenant and I've been an agent in hundreds of transactions. I own a property portfolio across Europe but that doesn't mean I think you should to!

This book is my collective knowledge and experience that I have gained working within the property market of England and Wales for over a decade. I've written it so that you can benefit from what I have learnt whether you are a first time buyer or a budding buy-to-let investor.

There are no gimmicks here and no get rich quick schemes - just practical no nonsense advice so you can buy the property you want at the best price with the least stress.

Download the Free Preview copy right now. I won't be asking for your email so I can bombard your inbox with 'special offers' and 'discounts' because I know most people who read the Free Preview buy the full copy. See for yourself!