What does 'Bulging Wall' mean when buying a property?

Find out what Bulging Wall means when you are buying a property. 'What does Bulging Wall mean?' plus over 150 other property related terms and jargon in plain English

Bulging Wall

Occasionally the wall of a property can show a 'pregnant bump'. This is where pressure from above, such as a replacement roof that is too heavy, or movement in the building itself has affected stability of the wall.

As with subsidence its important to establish if this is a recent development or has been a feature of the property for many years.

Walls which bulged years ago are generally best left alone. The movement happened and the wall settled.

Only recent movement is cause for alarm because the wall may continue to bulge further and eventually collapse.

Bulging walls which need attention can be pinned, this is not an issue which is terminal for the building!

To find out more about Bulging Walls and how to handle them if one comes up on your property purchase pick up a copy of my ebook How to Really Buy a Property

Search Results for 'Bulging' in
How to Really Buy a Property

"... surveyors should never estimate the cost of works; When rising damp, penetrating damp, subsidence, cracking, sagging roofs, Bulging walls and all the other frightening things in a surveyor's report might be serious, and when they are not; Why asking the vendor to carry out work is not..."

"... the tiling, flashings, parapets, rafters and chimney stacks. Structure - a structural engineer to make sure that there is no movement in the building beyond the normal amount expected and that none of the walls are Bulging. Drainage - a specialist company that can place CCTV probes in the..."

"... damp; How to check more than a structural survey covers and pay less; Why a sagging roof may not be a real issue; How to handle subsidence, movement and Bulging walls; When to use a survey to renegotiate and when to keep quiet; How to choose a good surveyor, and make sure the lender does..."
"... are two types of damp: Rising Damp - damp coming up from the ground Penetrating Damp - damp coming through the wall Bulging in the walls and one solution One of the walls has started to move out in one particular point even though there is no unusual..."

Search Results for 'Bulging' in
Property FAQ

There were no results for 'Bulging' in Propery FAQ

Search Results for 'Bulging' in
Property Terminology